Thursday, April 01, 2010

2 Tilapia Recipes

I should have taken a picture of the first one, but it smelled so good (and it was) that we dove right in.

Sauteed Tilapia (Halibut) with Citrus-Basil Sauce
(I used Tilapia bc it is in the same category as halibut for flavor and texture +it is cheaper!)

This is a pampered chef recipe that actually makes you cook something without it being pre-packaged!

1 lemon
1 orange
1 pink grapefruit
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c. light corn syrup
2 (6 oz) fish fillets ( 1 inch thick)
1 1/2 tsp Lemon Pepper seasoning
1 Tbsp basil/olive oil
1 Tbsp snipped fresh basil leaves (or you can cheat like me and use dried bc I never use all the fresh before it goes bad in "off" season)

1. zest lemon and orange to measure 1 tsp zest from each; set aside zest. Juice entire lemon. cut orange and grapefruit into segments; set aside. In 8 inch pan, simmer lemon juice, onion, and salt over medium heat about 5 minutes or until almost all the liquid is evaporated. Stir in corn syrup; set aside.

2. Sprinkle fish with lemon pepper. heat oil in 10 inch skillet over medium heat until hot. I didn't have their special Olive oil/basil, so I just heated OVOO with dried basil in it. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork easily, carefully turning once. Remove fillets from skillet. serve with orange and grapefruit. Add lemon and orange zest and basil to sauce; spoon over fish.

we had it with asparagus and fruit salad- our new weekday dessert.

Caramel Coated Catfish

I bought some catfish at grocery outlet that was frozen. maybe that was my error or maybe I just don't like catfish, but it tasted either like cardboard or just nasty. If I make this again, which I might try again, I will use a very mild flavored fish like Tilapia. the bottom feeder just may not be for me!
This is a vietnamese dish with great flavors in the sauce.

1/3 cup water
2 Tbsp fish sauce
2 shallots, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (I left this out. the pepper alone made it spicy enough that I didn't give any to the kids)
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
2 pounds fish ( I used 1 pound~4 fillets)
1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 green onion thinly sliced (garnish)
1/2 cup cilantro chopped (I didn't have any, but it would have been delicious)

Mix 1/3 cup water with the fish sauce in a small bowl and set aside. Combine shallots, garlic, black pepper, and red pepper flakes in a separate bowl and set aside.

Heat 1/3 cup water with 1/3 cup sugar in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar turns a deep golden brown. Gently stir in the fish sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Stir in the shallot mixture and cook until the shallots soften, then add the fish. Cover and cook the fish until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 5 minutes on each side. Place fish on a large plate, cover and set aside. Increase heat to high and stir in 1/2 tsp of sugar. Stir in the lime and any sauce that has collected on the plate. bring to a boil and simmer until the sauce has reduced. Pour sauce over the fish and garnish with green onions and cilantro.

we had jasmine rice and broccoli with this.

1 comment:

Polly said...

mmmm both sound delicious!!