Tuesday, February 23, 2010

crock Pot Chicken

My friend Jen posted this on her blog. I just made it and it is GOOOOOOD!! Thanks, Jen! I thought I'd repost it here since my sister may not see your blog. Moist, tender, juicy! I will finally trust myself to buy whole chickens again and not be so despairing because the oven didn't get it done on time. I jump started mine a little and cooked it on high for about an hour just because I was leery of the "low" setting. It turned out great. Esther ate a whole leg and a quarter of a breast! She must have been HUNGRY!!


Ingredients:
4 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 T. minced onion
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 large roasting chicken
1 C. sweet onion, chopped (I sliced mine)
1/2 of an onion to stuff in the cavity

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, combine the spices.
2. Remove any giblets from chicken and clean chicken. Pat dry.
3. Rub spice mixture onto the chicken. If time allows, place in resealable plastic bag the night before.
4. When ready to cook, put sliced onion in bottom of crockpot.
Add chicken. No liquid is needed, the chicken will make it's own juices. (After cooking, save the juices and use or freeze as chicken broth!)
5. Cook on low 4-8 hours. (If you have a pop-up timer, that would be helpful. Otherwise, I just lifted the lid and tested using my meat thermometer around the 5 hour mark. It took my cooker 5.5 hours to cook the chicken.

No comments: