Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Brief Digression

I wrote a while ago about this blog also being about the home and garden as well as food. As for the garden part I don't have a lot to say b/c my garden is partially pathetic this year. Your bird net saved the lettuce and the 10 sugar snap peas I got this year. My string beans are simply pathetic- tough, stringy, weirdly large.... sigh. i miss fresh green beans. Anyway, the cucumbers are about to be fruitful and the tomatoes are still completely green and just hanging out. i have gotten a few black plum tomatoes- an heirloom variety i highly recommend. anyway, i wasn't going to talk about the garden.

Home: I just got home from Costco where I purchased a memory foam mattress topper. what do you think? I wasn't ready to spend the full amount on a whole mattress yet, but my body has been pretty achey during the nights since my surgery. i also bought memory foam pillows to see if i can ease the tightness in my neck at all. tonight will be the first night sleeping with both, and i'm so excited to go to bed!

4 comments:

miranda said...

I don't know about the pillows. We had one and I couldn't get used to it. The topper will be awesome! Although, Darin has said MANY times that our bed is the best investment we've ever made. I think I'd have to agree, for somewhere you spend so much time, it is probably worth it. In the long run, you may buy 3 -4 mattresses at $500+ each in the lifetime that the memory foam is supposed to last. it may last your lifetime, they don't know bc it hasn't been around that long!

Polly said...

how thick is your mattress? costco sells memory foam mattresses that are 12 inches thick. our topper is 3 inches. 12 doesn't sound like that much. i'm getting used to the bed- the first night was kinda rough but last night was much better. eric really likes it.

miranda said...

that's pretty good (3 inches) the diiference in the bed vs the topper is that your mattress underneath is still made with springs and it can sag, etc whereas the actual mattress has foam under it and doesn't form to the shape of the old mattress underneath it. they do take a while to get used to, but once you're used to it, you won't want to go back!! I almost feel like real mattresses bruise me on my hips when I sleep on them! if you change your mind, you could probably take the topperback to costco for an exchange

miranda said...

that's pretty good (3 inches) the diiference in the bed vs the topper is that your mattress underneath is still made with springs and it can sag, etc whereas the actual mattress has foam under it and doesn't form to the shape of the old mattress underneath it. they do take a while to get used to, but once you're used to it, you won't want to go back!! I almost feel like real mattresses bruise me on my hips when I sleep on them!