Thursday, September 11, 2008

Peppered Beef Soup

Ok, so it's time I finally posted again! you've been going crazy with the posts! thanks!! I needed some ideas. I have not felt like looking up new recipes lately, So, this will be fun! Anyway, here's a recipe from Southern LIving magazine that I made tonight. I didn't have any beer and I thought I had the beef broth substitute, but then found out that I didn't, so I just made some beef soup base with water; I guess it's the same thing as the bouillon, but o well. it was good and Darin said to put it into the rotation! I would also add more of the veggies bc there was a lot of beef in it and I only used a 2 pound hunk of meat instead of the 4 pounds it calls for. This is another recipe, like one that you posted, that will probably only work with beef, but is worth it. I used tri tip roast bc I forgot what kind of meat it called for when I was at the store :) I also skipped the cooking in hot oil in a dutch oven bc I was lazy and don't like the smell it leaves in the house afterwards) NOTE this is a slow cooker recipe, so premeditate it!

1 (4 lb) sirloin tip beef roast
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 Tbsp oil
1 medium size red onion, thinly sliced ( I used yellow)
6 garlic cloves, minced ( I used 4 bc I used less meat)
2 large baking potatoes, diced
1 (16 oz) package of baby carrots ( I used regular and cut them into baby size bc they're cheaper)
2 (12 oz) bottles lager beer (or 3 cups low sodium beef broth)
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
1 Tbsp beef bouillon granules
1 1/2- 3 tsp freshly ground pepper
4 bay leaves
salt to taste

1 Rinse roast and pat dry, cut a 1 inch deep cavity in the shape of an "x" on top of roast (do not cut all the way through the roast) dredge in all purpose flour; shake off excess.
2. cook roast in hot oil in a dutch oven (what is this anyway?) over medium high heat 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
3. place roast in a 6 qt. slow cooker. stuff cavity with sliced red onion and minced garlic; top roast with potatoes and carrots. Pour beer, balsamic vinegar, and worcestershire sauce into slow cooker. sprinkle with parsley, bouillon, and pepper. Add bay leaves to liquid in slow cooker.
4. cover and cook on Low for 7-8 hours or until fork tender. shred roast using 2 forks. season with salt to taste. serve in toasted bread bowls, if desired.

I just made some bread in the bread machine for dipping. It was good. the bowls would be good too. This is great for leaving all day if you have to work or something or don't feel like making a dinner at night.

1 comment:

Polly said...

yum! this looks really good. i'll make it as soon as the weather gets a little colder. a dutch oven is like a heavey bottomed pan. most people would use a ceramic dutch oven, but since those are expensive and i don't own one, i use my biggest calphalon soup pot. and hooray for you posting again!