Tuesday, October 20, 2009

cashew chicken

This comes from a cookbook put together by the church we went to in Lima. It was contributed by Dana Hays. I never have followed it completely with the vegetable ingredients, but just add whatever I have on hand or in the freezer. Tonight I made it with zucchini (which I substitute a lot for mushrooms since we don't like them), carrots, broccoli, onions, and green beans. It was a little salty, maybe because of the bouillon I used, but so far, it is my favorite recipe for the "brown sauce" on stir fry. Maybe since Eric is a stir fry connoisseur he has a better recipe?? Anyway, here it is:

3 chicken breasts sliced 1/8 inch thick
1/2 lb pea pods or 2 pkg of frozen peas partially thawed
1/2 lb mushrooms
4 stalks of green onions
1 can bamboo shoots, drained
1 Tbsp chicken bouillon granules, dissolved
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp oil
1/4 cup cashews ( I added 1 cup because I LOVE toasted cashews)

Dissolve 1 Tbsp bouillon in 1 cup of water or broth. Stir 2 Tbsp cornstarch into 1/4 cup soy sauch. Heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium high heat, and add nuts all at once, saute until toasted. Remove the nuts from the pan. Add chicken to pan, cook until it turns white. Add peas and mushrooms. Pour in broth, cover, and simmer 2 minutes or until veggies are tender. Add bamboo shoots, stir in the soy sauce mixture into the pan juices. Cook until the sauce is thickened, stirring frequently. Add nuts and green onions cut into fan shaped pieces. Serve over rice.


No comments: