Monday, February 04, 2008

hearty pancakes

Buttermilk-Oatmeal Pancakes


Start your day in a hearty, high-grain way with these buttermilk-oatmeal pancakes. Maple syrup is a perennial favorite atop a stack of these pancakes; sliced bananas would also complement their oat flavor.


2 1/2 cups buttermilk
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
Maple syrup (optional)
Combine buttermilk and rolled oats in a small bowl; let stand for 20 to 30 minutes to soften oats.

Stir together flours, wheat germ, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Mix together egg, egg whites and 1 teaspoon oil in another bowl with a whisk or fork. Add the oat mixture and the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.

Lightly brush a large nonstick skillet with a little of the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and place over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup batter for each pancake, pour batter onto the pan and cook until the underside is browned and the bubbles on top remain open, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the pancakes over and cook until the underside is browned, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter and keep warm in a 200°F oven. Repeat with remaining batter, brushing the pan with a little of the remaining oil as needed. Serve hot, topping with maple syrup if desired.


**i added about 1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries to it and it was delicious!

1 comment:

miranda said...

these look very hearty and yummy maybe I'll try them once I get all my ingredients here from Lima. I know I have the flax seed and stuff and don't want to buy more as it isn't used much. I don't know about the whole wheat. I think I have an allergy to it still. I had one when I was younger and I think I may still have some of it, so maybe I'll try substituting with regular. Yuck, I know, but we'll see.