Tuesday, January 01, 2008

the most wonderfulest, delicious-est, incrediblest, delectablest CHICKEN SALAD ever!!!!

okay, i really mean it. this one is for keeps forever. you HAVE to make this ASAP!! i got it from my friend lauren from our bible study. her sister actually owns a bakery here in salt lake and serves up this chicken salad for her customers and they can't get enough of it either! after making it tonight, i'm sold!

Lauren's Favorite Chicken Salad

ingredients:
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
juice of 1 lemon or 1 tbspn lemon juice
1/2 c mayo
3 c cooked chicken (i used a rotisserie chicken from costco)
1 c celery thinly sliced
1/4 c toasted almonds
red grapes

1. infuse curry powder in olive oil over low heat, remove from heat
2. mix oil/curry mixture, sugar, salt, pepper, and lemon juice in small bowl; add mayo
3. stir together chicken, celery, almonds and grapes
4. add sauce mixture and toss to coat

** i just added all the ingredients one by one into a large bowl, but afterwards i thought it would be better to make a sauce out of the little ingredients so they get mixed more thoroughly and then top the veggies and chicken with it. i also did not have any red grapes as they are completely out of season right now so i used cherry tomatoes cut in half. it was delicious! i spooned about a cup over some spring salad mix and sliced some fresh pear on the side. we had slices of french country bread with goat cheese on the side. it was definitely enough to fill us up and looked really pretty too. i could eat this at least once a week!!**

i am cooking up the carcass from the costco rotisserie chicken right now to make my own broth. the birds are only $5 and the flavor of the meat is outstanding. i hope you like it!

4 comments:

miranda said...

this is pretty good, but I think I have one that is a tad bit better. It has water chestnuts in it and maybe some pineapple too. I can't remember exactly, but it was pretty good, if you like curry.

Anonymous said...

I agree, a most delectable chicken salad. I added raisins to mine, because I love raisins in curry. Delicious!
- Queenie

Kristin said...

Yum! Thanks for a great recipe- I've also done pineapple with a cajun jerk seasoning from Pampered Chef and we actually use turkey that I personally can. YUM! It's making me hungry! LOL I'll be sure to try this!

J said...

Oh, how I loved this curry salad!!! I didn't have lettuce, so I placed it atop some broccoli slaw. I am the HUGEST fan of curry and this totally hit the spot! Thanks for sharing!